Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Savannah Liberty

Savannah, my Divine Daveene passed on June 4, 2008 after giving us 17+ years. Her lil’ buddy and I found it very difficult to take our first walk without her. Savannah’s collar hung on the front door motionless. I embraced it to my heart, kissed it with my tears then found myself putting her collar around my neck. Liberty looked up toward the familiar jingle sounds coming from Savannah’s tags and St. Francis. We walked out the front door. Somehow there was comfort with each jingly step we took, a happy presence of our precious, protective girl. So. I wear her collar and made a matching set for Liberty and me. Savannah continues to walk by our side, herding us on with her infinite wisdom, inspiring us with her loving spirit. She greeted every morning eagerly. Once her collar was buckled on, it was like the first day of her life. And so Liberty and I buckle ours on. We walk with happy jingles throughout the day, celebrating each moment with gratitude for Savannah choosing us to share this blessed life with.

Liberty Pearl was rescued by U. S. Marines from the Baghdad Palace in 2003, fostered in the Iraqi zoo until a guardian “Christmas” angel brought her over to the United States and gave her to me. Savannah, upon first sniffing this frightened, depressed little dog gently gathered her under her thoughtful tutelage, enabling Liberty to become who she is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment